Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Meaning of Comfort

This is day 29 of my Journaling through January series.

When you think of the word "comfort," what comes to mind?

When I think of the word comfort, I think of it in three different ways. I think the scriptures give better examples of these ways than I can, so I'll let them do the talking.

1. Noun:
2 Corinthians 7:4 "...I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation."

2. Verb:
Mosiah 18:9: "...Yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort..."

3. Mindset:
Ether 12:29 And I, Moroni, having heard these words, was comforted, and said: O Lord, thy righteous will be done, for I know that thou workest unto the children of men according to their faith.”

When I think of comfort, I think of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. They are the source of peace and comfort. Heavenly Father comforts me because I can feel His love, and see His merciful hand blessing my life. He is always there to listen and answer my prayers. Jesus comforts me because He has faced all my fears, sins, and pains, and He has overcome every single one of them. Through Him, I can overcome them as well. The Holy Ghost brings me comfort by conveying the truthfulness of what I have written above through feelings of serenity, joy, and support. Whenever I feel peaceful, calm, secure, or happy, I know I am feeling that way because the Holy Ghost is with me.

One of my favorite scriptures is John 14:27. The Savior said to his disciples: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

I just realized that this journaling prompt was given me for a purpose. It is strange and wondrous how the Lord uses coincidences to testify of Him. I have been rather anxious about something this weekend, and to be honest, I wasn't doing a very good job of seeking comfort. Now, however, I feel peace and calm growing in my heart. I needed to write about this today, and I'm thankful that my Heavenly Father knew it, even if I didn't.

Journaling through January is a series which can be found on iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment