Tuesday, March 6, 2012

AMAZING Topping for Your Baked Potatoes!

Last night I made dinner. Baked potatoes, to be precise. Usually we eat baked potatoes with canned chili and cheese on top. Not too exciting.

However, I got really excited about my baked potatoes last night. And I mean, REALLY excited! So was the hubby, which means I totally get double points.

Wanna know the best part? This alternative to the normal sour cream and chili is very healthy. It actually made me feel good about eating baked potatoes for dinner.

Wanna know another best part? The other thing that made it exciting is that it was SUPER cheap to make! Like, cheaper-than-a can-of-chili-cheap!

Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of this amazing stuff. But I plan to do a lovely photo shoot next time I make these (which will probably be in the near future).

Are you ready? Here's the recipe!

Baked Potatoes with Creamy Cucumber Sauce

(Ok, I know it sounds odd, but trust me, it's delicious!)

32 ounces of yogurt (regular fat or low-fat, your choice)
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and grated
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 potatoes, baked

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve over hot potatoes.

That's it!  I only made two changes when I made this recipe (which I found at basic-recipes.com). The first was that I cut down the recipe to a quarter of the original amounts, since Tyler and I didn't need 8 servings. The second was that I squeezed as much liquid out of the grated cucumber with a cheesecloth--otherwise, this sauce would have been way too runny. (You could also squeeze the cucumber liquid out with a strong, thick paper towel if cheesecloth is lacking.)

The flavor of this sauce was actually a lot like sour cream. The flavor wasn't too strong, and I barely knew the cucumber was there. It was a great way to use up some of the cucumbers from Bountiful Baskets we have sitting in our fridge.

This would be a great sidekick to some grilled chicken or salmon. You could also pair it with another jazzed-up  vegetable, like these roasted balsamic brussels sprouts. I actually have brussels sprouts in my fridge, and I was totally going to make them to go along with the potatoes, but the sauce was so fascinating that I forgot about them completely. Oops!

Well, there you have it. My first recipe that I've been excited enough about to post on my blog! I'm sure there will be many more to come!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment