Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Comfort

I haven't been posting as often lately because I decided I'm only going to write when I have true inspiration, and it's something I really want to write about. I feel like I give you a much better reading experience when I do this, and hopefully you agree.

This evening the word "comfort" popped into my head, and all of a sudden I wanted to write about the things that comfort me at the end of the day.

  • Wearing my husband's pajama pants. They are blue and cozy and they are super baggy. But I pull them on every once in a while, and it feels so good when I do. 
  • Taking long bubble baths with a good book. It feels like a mini vacation, and I love it!
  • Cuddling with Noah before putting him to bed. No matter how many mishaps occur during the day, I can always count on this to be especially peaceful. It gives me a few moments to recenter myself and focus on making my baby feel as loved as possible.
  • Sharing ice cream with my husband. This is a treat we normally enjoy on the weekends as we watch shows on Netflix. Our favorite standby is Dreyer's Mint Cookie Crunch, though we have been known to favor treats from Wendy's, Iceburg, and American Burger upon occasion.
  • Family Home Evening. We try to have a special family night on Mondays, usually just before dinner. Because Noah is so little, we don't really do a lot. We sing a song out of the Primary Children's Songbook, say a short prayer, read a story to Noah, and sing another short Primary song to finish. Noah loves having both of us focused solely on him for those few minutes as we sing and read to him, and it comforts me to know that he can feel our love through our expressions and actions. I know that the way we do Family Home Evening will change and shape itself over the years, but right now, I love these simple, little things we do to bring the Spirit into our home and our hearts.
  • Prayer. Some nights I am too tired to focus very hard, and I just go through the motions as I try to keep myself awake. But most nights I find much-needed peace from reviewing my day with the Lord before going to sleep. Knowing I can rely on my Heavenly Father and cast my burdens upon Him amazes me, humbles me, and comforts me no end. I love how Robert Browning puts it: "God's in his heaven--all's right with the world!"
Where do you find comfort when you need it most?

No comments:

Post a Comment